Whenever my friends back home would drink to excess, they’d wake up wanting something tasty. I made them what I call “Hangover Eggs”. Whether or not you’re hungover, they’re very delicious! I’ve recently been making them to gain weight, though you can alter the recipe to whatever suits your lifestyle.
- Tony Chachere’s
- Green onions
- Olive oil
- Loaf of French Bread
- Bring a cast iron pan to medium-high heat and add a second or two of olive oil when things start to warm up.
- While the pan heats up, use your hands and tear off pieces of bread that are roughly the size of your hand.
- Make sure you have one piece of bread per egg you want to make. I’ve dabbled with the egg:bread ratios, and this seems to work.
- Once the olive oil starts smelling a bit (or smoke comes off of it), crack in however many eggs you care to eat. Turn down the heat to medium.
- Act fast! As the eggs start cooking, prepare a plate with two handfuls of chopped green onion and Tabasco.
- After about four minutes (or when the tops of the eggs start to set), take out eggs and place on top of bed of onions & Tabasco.
- Turn heat back to medium-high and add a touch more olive oil. Place pieces of bread in pan.
- Every so often, move the pieces of bread around to soak up the oil.
- When the bread is about to turn a good shade of golden-brown, add a generous sprinkle of Tony Chachere’s to the plated eggs (on top of them).
- Turn off the heat and move the pan off the burner. Take out bread pieces and place on the same plate as the eggs.
- Serve with glass of ice-cold beer.
Ideally, you won’t even need a fork! Simply use the bread to guide the eggs on top of each piece, break the yolk into the piece, and take a large bite.