- ⏲️ Prep time: 5 min
- 🍳 Cook time: 20-30 min
- 🍽️ Servings: 4
- Olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 300g button or crimini mushrooms
- 400g risotto rice (Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone Nano)
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- Mushroom or chicken stock
- Grated Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- Finely mince the shallot and garlic and slice the mushrooms into large pieces.
- Heat a pan with some olive oil on medium-high heat. Ideally this should be a wide skillet with tall sides, but a pot will also do the job.
- Saute the vegetables until fragrant, then add the mushrooms with a pinch of salt and cook them down until they’re nicely browned, about 10 minutes or so.
- Add the rice in and let it toast for about a minute or so. This will develop some nice nutty flavors, but overdoing this will affect the creaminess of the finished dish.
- Deglaze with white wine and let the alcohol cook off. After that start ladling in the stock bit by bit stirring constantly for about 20-30 minutes (depending on the brand of rice used), until the rice is cooked but has a slight bite to it.
- Turn off the heat and add a couple tablespoons of cold butter and grated cheese, and stir well to emulsify. Check for final seasoning and serve.