My great-grandma’s red sauce. All purpose: good for pastas, lasagnas, subs, etc.
- ⏲️ Prep time: 12 mins
- 🍳 Cook time: Simmer all day
- 🍽️ Servings: 7
- 1/3 lb salt pork
- 2 lb chuck roast
- 3 Cloves of garlic
- Crushed hot red pepper
- Sweet onion
- Large carrot
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. Olive oil (she used mazola oil)
- 12 oz. Can tomato paste
- 29 oz. Diced tomatoes
- 29 oz. Tomato puree
- Mince the garlic, peel the carrot, peel and cut the onion in half.
- Pour the oil in a large pot at medium low heat.
- Chop the salt pork and chuck roast simmer in oil with garlic.
- Simmer until the meat has browned.
- Add the tomato, full carrot, and onion.
- Add bay leaf and red pepper then give it a good stir.
- Lower heat let simmer for a few hours.
- Occasionally stir, and add water if sauce gets too thick.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.